Sunday 6 December 2015

I once had to apologize to the audience when I forgot my lyrics –Darey Art Alade

Dare Art Alade 
 

I once had to apologize to the audience when I forgot my lyrics  –Darey Art Alade

Nigerian superstar singer, Darey Art Alade is Nigeria’s king of R&B still standing despite all odds. He’s the last son of Art Alade, a famous Nigerian highlife / jazz artiste and broad­caster in the sixties and seventies.
His journey to stardom began when he was a teenager during which he was invited to join Cool FM where he worked as a presenter for some years. In 2004, he participated in the real­ity TV show, Project Fame Africa and subsequently hosted the show when it debuted in West Africa. In this in­terview, Darey reflected on his child­hood ,music, family and other issues.
Your album is titled Na­ked. Why?
Why? Why not?
I saw all those nude im­ages you posted on twit­ter. What was it all about?
I was not naked. Was I naked? (Laughs).Those images are meta­phors to represent the real essence of the album. It’s about being vul­nerable and I needed to show my vulnerability. Taking a picture like that, I would never think I will do that in a thousand years. It’s not something I would do ordinarily. So, to do it meant having to ex­pose myself and if you want to talk about be­ing naked, it’s not in the sense of physical nakedness but we are rather talking about emotional vulner­ability. How do you illustrate that? It’s im­possible without such an image, of course, and it’s not obscene. It wasn’t about showing my genitalia and it was tastefully done. It’s an artistic expression which comes with a proviso so to speak. It’s not by itself. We have two different pictures and the hash tag is Darey naked to promote the album and we also had a quote, a different picture that had a quote, talking about you know, stripping your­self bare of any pretence or anything, any insecurity and sharing your story. The idea is to post that picture and share something about you that people do not know or you would not want to tell people normally.
Among the things you shared, you said you went to your old home. Could you tell us more about that?
I have lived in different parts of Lagos and I went to a few of them, not all of them.
There was one particular one you said the guy living there now welcomed you and the televi­sion had changed. So, what were your memories of that place?
Different memories. You know from the way your older siblings treated you to the way maybe you guys ate dinner. You know different memories of the house, like the smell of the house and some other things like that. All these things change over time and, of course, your experience as a child would be different from your experience as an adult going back to where you played or lived as a child. So, it’s about reminiscing and also just sharing, you know? I think people find it interesting when it’s not only about the music, they get to know you and you connect deeper to your fans that way.
What’s the inspiration, mean­ing or motive behind your song, Inside of me in the album?
The title is suggestive but we are not talking about anything more than love. It’s just about love, so it’s inside of you and the inspiration I mean is just to make a nice love song that mature adults can enjoy, that anybody can listen to .We wanted a mean­ingful love song, the type you will feel, an authentic heart-felt lyric not just let’s put some words together or let’s finish the song quickly. It was deliberately written, ar­ranged and made that way.
You did the song with Asa. What was it like working with her?
I have been friends with Asa for some time and she is like my sister. Asa and I have been close friends for many years but it was actually the first time we worked to­gether. So, for me it was very special and I know it was special for her too.
How long did it take you to compose that song?
It took a couple of days but the album took about six months to finish.
People say “Darey is the John Legend of Nigeria”. What’s your take about that?
It’s an honour to be compared to some­one like that. I have met him before and he is a really cool guy whose music I like. He has won Grammies, he has made so many hits and we both play the piano. Those are some of our similarities. However, I do not think my voice sounds like his voice.
Which famous musician in­spires you?
Well, my late father for one and people like Fela who I knew not just as a musician, I also knew him as my father’s friend. Femi Kuti is also a big brother to me, people like Lagbaja, Louis Armstrong, Beyonce, Jay z to mention a few.
What’s your worst embarrass­ment on stage?
It was a very long time ago before I even dreamt of writing my songs. I was perform­ing at a club, Jazz Ville at Onike, Yaba and I didn’t know all the lyrics of the song. At a point, when I started, I noticed I was sing­ing rubbish, I had to tell the band to stop. I apologised to the audience and told them I wanted to start again. I forgot the lyrics but it was not a concert and it was like a small arrangement then. It was a bit embarrass­ing but I got over it, it’s one of those things.
What brings you joy?
My family and then my music. Music always makes me happy and I’m happi­est when I spend time with my family just running around or playing football or doing something. I love spending time with them because I am always all over the place, so those few days or weeks I’m around, I tend to make it memorable.
Your image in many people’s mind is a guy who has a perfect family life, thriving career and you are seen as a very serious musician. But you know music attracts a lot of women. How do you handle female fans?
I have everything I want but nobody is perfect and there is no such thing as a perfect family. Even Obama and Michelle I am sure, have arguments and disagree­ments but that is what makes us human. At the end of the day, it’s the grace of God. I know you are talking about female fans but I have been doing this for a very long time and by now I know what to do and what not to do. I try and make sure I do not cre­ate that opportunity and I do not allow it to get out of hand. Some of them want to try and be funny but I just tactfully avoid them without offending them.
What’s the most embarrassing experience you have ever had with a female fan?
I remember one day, a young lady want­ed to take a picture with me and I was walking with my wife. You know when an event just finished,so you can imagine many people walking in different directions and you are trying to make your way out of the venue. Then somebody just called me Darey! Darey!! I want to take a picture with you. The next thing she did was to push my wife out of the way and she no even send anybody at that point. Her own was “I want my picture” and it was a bit embarrassing and my wife understood. She just moved away, you know we deal with all these things every day.
What should every man try at least once in a life time?
I think every man should at least ride a motorcycle. I’m not talking about okada or kekenapep. I used to ride a power bike, a fast motorcycle, but when the family be­gins to enter the matter, you have to behave yourself. Once in a while, it’s good for the thrill, just for the rush. It’s almost like sky diving or bounce jumping. If you have the liver, then try it and that’s what makes a man.
How romantic are you?
I try o. Romance is about the simple things, it is about doing some things at the unexpected time. It is not about how big the surprise is, you do it when she is not ex­pecting it. For instance, you can buy a bou­quet of flowers and go to her office. Maybe you do not normally go and meet her in her office, you can send it there and you put a very small note or write a note and put under her pillow, so when she is looking for something and she sees it, it’s that ele­ment of surprise. Communication is key, so from time to time, you just do some things that will surprise her, make her feel special. It’s not about how much you spend really, it’s not about anything fancy like going to an exotic place, there is no magic about it. It’s just about the moments and how you spend those moments.
So, as a very romantic guy, do you help your wife to do house­hold chores?
I do everything, I do anything. We have house helps but from time to time I do eve­rything from tidying up, cleaning this and cleaning that.
Which one of it do you enjoy?
I do not enjoy any of it. It’s the truth, I do not like house chores but I do have fun sometimes when I do them. It can be fun especially if you turn it into a game; maybe you involve the children by saying oya! tidy up after yourself and before you know it, you have done work but you do not make it seem as if it is work.
As a dad let’s talk about your kids, Tinuke and Femi. Are you the good cop or your wife is the bad cop?
Neither, we are both good and bad cops. When it’s time we whip them into shape if they are naughty.
Do you spank your kids?
From time to time, if they are really naughty, they can get a little spanking. So, they know they should behave especially, when you have told them over and over not to be naughty. You know how children can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment behind