Sunday 6 December 2015

I need a man –Noella Wiyaala, Ghanaian singer

I need a man –Noella Wiyaala, Ghanaian singer 

Ghanaian artiste, Noella Wiyaala, who won the Video of The Year Award at the just concluded All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA) held at Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos last Sunday, has disclosed that she is single and ready to mingle.
According to the fast-rising singer, who won the awards for Revelation of The African Continent and Most Promising Artiste on the African Continent at the maiden edition of AFRIMA last year, marriage is indeed on her mind.
“I am looking around; if I see any available bachelor, then I will mingle. I don’t care if you are tall or short or obolobo (fat man). I just need a man that will let me do my own thing, a man that will support me. We can support each other and have babies.”
In the beginning…
The music career of the Ghanaian star who likes to pride herself as the ‘young lioness of Africa’ began when she teamed up with the group, Black n’ Peach after which she went solo and released two hit singles entitled, Make Me Dance and Rock My Body. Ever since, Wiyaala has never looked back. However, the musician says it was not rosy at the beginning because of the stark realities of her environment, which almost stifled her dreams. But with passion and determination, she was able to break the barriers.
Hear her: “In my village, we had no electricity and nobody believed in me. We used to watch television for one hour and thirty minutes every day. People would sing when the lights went off. With time I also started singing too and I told people I wanted to be a star. They looked around and said ‘how could someone like you who stays in the bush be a star?’”
However, luck shone on Wiyaala after meeting a Briton who came to work in Ghana. Pointing at the man standing beside her whom she refers to as Mr. John, she continues: “It’s been a journey. I thank God I met my manager, Mr. John. He just heard my voice and that was it. John said to me ‘I think you have a voice and the world should hear it. He didn’t even know me but he believed in me. He came all the way from the United Kingdom to teach and he met me in the classroom. After I sang a song, he was like ‘wow!’ He said he would invest in me because I am talented and he believes I would go far.”
Nigeria Vs. Ghana
Commenting on Nigerian and Ghanaian music scene, Wiyaala said: “Ghana is still catching up because you are a step ahead of us. Nigeria has taken music so seriously. We appreciate what your people are doing and since you are our brother, we will learn from you.”
On AFRIMA
For Wiyaala, she was excited to make it back to AFRIMA Awards this year. Holding the gold plated plaque close to her chest, the dark singer said excitedly: “I just won the Video of The Year in Africa award. I am so excited. Last year, I was here and I picked up two awards. I also got the chance to perform last year.
“AFRIMA is wonderful. It unites all of us. It was AFRIMA that brought Ahmed Soultan and I together. We recorded a song, a beautiful song, This IS Who I Am. I am the first Ghanaian to do a collabo with a Moroccan artiste. Because of this, I had to travel to Morocco and I posted a lot of pictures on the Instagram. My people in Ghana began to say Morocco is such a nice place.
“In Africa, we don’t even visit each other’s country but this platform (AFRIMA) is bringing us together in new ways and we are beginning to discover ourselves and getting to meet artistes from different countries and experiencing their culture and lifestyle.
“Ahmed also came to Ghana and he ate our food. When I went to Morocco, it was awesome! The last time I came to Nigeria, I ate eba (garri) and pounded yam and I also ate eba this year. Maybe, I should make a farm here (laughing). I am taking a lot of love back to Ghana from Nigeria.”
Advice
Wiyaala has a piece of advice for youngsters who want to take after her: “For those up and coming artistes who are willing to deep their neck into the river of music, the only person standing in your way is you, go out there and dare to dream, think positively and you will go places,” she stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment behind